Thursday, February 10, 2011

Genocide in Burundi: KWL and Questions

WHAT I KNOW:
Before I started this project, I didn't know anything about the genocide in Burundi.

WHAT I WANT TO LEARN:
I would like to find out what caused the genocide, or any underlying issues that provoked it, who lead the country to this ultimate disaster, and what other countries did to stop it.



QUESTIONS:
1) What was the cause of the initial violence?
2) Who were the people involved?
3) What similarities do the events share with those in Rwanda?
4) When did it happen?
5) Was there more than one cause of genocide?
6) How many people were killed?
7) What was done to stop the genocide?
8) Were other countries involved?
9) What has been done to prevent this from happening again?
10) Has the world taken away anything from this?


WHAT I LEARNED:
The genocides were basically due to a lack of government structure and respect, along with single-minded, discriminatory views towards the tribes of the country. There were several influential people who could have taken over the situation and handled it appropriately, but instead responded tragically, with violence.

No comments:

Post a Comment